Westport Golf Course is located on an elevated position on the shores of Lough Crew in the shadow of the awe-inspiring Croach Patrick, in Mayo in the West of Ireland. The club dates back to 1908 and the course was designed by the renowned golf architect, Fred Hawtree, opening in 1973. The course sits amongst 206 acres of rolling parkland, in a simply beautiful setting, overlooking the mighty North Atlantic. This championship course is a par 373, measuring 7,072 yards from the back tees, so is a demanding track, that will certainly test any long hitters off the tee. Over the years Westport has established a reputation for itself and received the national recognition it merits.
The course benefits from a traditional open parkland layout that has matured and improved with age to meld into the undulating natural terrain, it looks like it has always been here. Characteristics here include:
- a strong presence of mature trees,
- strategically placed bunkers and water features.
- It is an interesting course that will keep you engaged,
- the font nine holes are definitely parkland but,
- the back nine holes have more of a links quality about them, providing a unique and memorable round.
- The course has lots of twists and turns, doglegs, rollercoaster fairways, with a well balanced combination of holes,
- the back nine holes are simply wonderful with Clew Bay coming into play and are the real feature here.
- The finishing hole is pretty frightening and a great hole to finish an excellent round.
- There are a few interesting par 3’s and five par 5’s.
- Wind can be a factor when playing here, there is always a crisp Atlantic breeze present.
- The terrain is undulating with numerous slopes to climb.
Awaiting you is a course in excellent condition that is beautifully maintained. The undulating contoured greens are large, running fast and consistently, the fairways are lush and tree lined, the bunkers are reasonably small and there is not too much rough so not overly punishing.
Westport is regarded as a prestigious venue and has played host to many notable events and once you play here it becomes evident why. An excellent course that is engaging and pleasurable to play.