The Slieve Russell Golf Course is located on the grounds of the hotel of the same name in the heart of County Cavan, amongst beautiful rolling countryside, it is close to the border with Northern Ireland.
It is situated on a magnificent 300 acre estate. This championship parkland course was designed by Patrick Merrigan in 1992 and has been receiving much acclaim and recognition for its design since it opened. It is a par 72, measuring 7,054 yards from the blue tees.
The design and layout is an ideal example of a great parkland course, with an added boldness, it sits seamlessly into the landscape as it winds around the natural drumlins, two lakes and undulating terrain. It favours water hazards and bunkers with them both being used considerably throughout the course, the estate itself is has more than 50 acres worth of lakes that stretch across the heart of the course.
- There is a great array of holes,
- you can anticipate some intricate ones, especially on the back nine.
- The hole length varies constantly and there are only two short par 4’s.
- It is a course that will interest players of all styles and levels,
- it offers a real test of your game with a new challenge on every hole.
The course is pristine and in immaculate condition. The large manicured greens can be tricky, they are large and rolling and you will find they run true and fast. There are a hundred sprawling bunkers that embrace the fairways but they are not too deep. The rough is a good distance from the fairways so is not too punishing.