This course is up there with the finest and most challenging traditional Irish links golf courses, Enniscrone origins date to 1918 when it was a simple nine-hole course near a seaside village.
Fast forward and today it is in a completely different league, rating consistently highly. The course offers 27 holes on 400 acres of magnificent links land, featuring the par 73 Dunes Championship Links Course, measuring over 6,814 yards from the yellow tees.It enjoys a spectacular location beside the picturesque seaside town of Enniscrone, the golf course affords panoramic views of Killala Bay, Bartra Island, sandy beaches and over the dunes out to the Atlantic Ocean. The Nephin and the Ox Mountains forming a dramatic backdrop. It is the perfect blend of scenery, play and challenge.
The course uses the natural terrain to its best advantage and complements its surroundings,
- with the course meandering through the gigantic dunes, and across the fluctuating links land creating a truly dramatic course.
- The River Foy flows through the course to the Atlantic.
- There is a huge diversity of holes and all have unique qualities and challenges.
- Being a links course the natural elements will feature strongly
- and an issue here can be the winds that blow from the Atlantic, on a bad day they can make it a brute to play.
- Be prepared to climb here especially if you are not a straight hitter you will be spending lots of time in the dunes searching for your ball.
Condition wise the course is excellently maintained. Although the course starts off gently don’t be fooled that quickly changes, you will be faced with some of the most intimidating drives you will ever encounter. The greens are elevated and shielded by either deep valleys and ravines or tucked way at the bottom of high dunes. The fairways pitch and roll between the impressive dunes, there are blind spots galore and the rough is heavy.What awaits you at Enniscrone is a very challenging course that is totally engaging and a real delight to play, you will probably end up using most of your clubs.